Posts Tagged “typo”
Well, after about 5 hours of hacking, I got a ruby script together to migrate all my data from Typo 4.11 to WordPress, so the site is back from the dead, and now running on an engine that DreamHost is actually happy with.
Update: The conversion script is now available at GitHub.
After months of absence, Typosphere has returned from the dead!
We migrated off of Planet Argon and onto DreamHost, where we should have more control.
We also upgraded to Trac 0.10.3 and turned off anonymous editing (users now have to register to file a ticket).
This should (hopefully) prevent the issue that lead to Typosphere dying in the first place.
One important thing to note is that as part of this process, we also moved the subversion repository.
Unfortunately, the old repository was hosted as an svn:// URI using the typosphere.org domain, which meant
there was no way to preserve this URI (since we can’t run long-lived background daemons on DreamHost). The
new URI uses http and a new subdomain, so if necessary we can move the repository without moving the website.
The new repository URL is http://svn.typosphere.org/typo/trunk.
Read the rest of this entry »
3 Comments »
Typo 4.0 is out! Many thanks to Scott Laird for his wonderful work on Akismet support and the new gem installer.
Well, it looks like we’re almost at the 4.0 milestone for Typo. Tonight I knocked off 7 tickets (a couple just got re-categorized, but others got fixed/closed). Now there’s just 1 left, and it’s slaird’s responsibility. Unfortunately I have no idea what the time frame is on finishing it.
In any case, I’ll be pushing to get 4.0 out the door as soon as possible.
BTW, anybody currently on trunk and Rails 1.1, I highly encourage you to upgrade to HEAD. Why? Because I squelched the exceedingly verbose logging of sidebar rendering (in a quick test, a single sidebar rendered on the front page shoved 70k into the log file). It’s a fairly ugly hack, but it’ll save you from having to wipe your logs every week.
Well, Rails 1.1 is out now. And that is a problem for Typo. See, when we tried running it under Rails 1.1rc1 we discovered that this new version of Rails has certain problems with components. Basically, Rails isn’t setting up the component namespaces that we’re expecting it to. I guess this is what I’ll be spending tomorrow evening hammering on.
Update: As of 10:57 AM this morning, Typo trunk now supports Rails 1.1 (and should work with Rails 1.0 too).
Just a quick post about AJAX on Rails, to test out my latest feature, which is Lightbox support for Typo:
If you click that and it doesn’t overlay the image on top of the current page, then you’ve run into a bug in Safari that I’m trying to figure out the cause of. Grrrrr.
The bug has been worked around.
Well, I finally bit the bullet and upgraded my blog from the Typo stable release to the HEAD of the svn trunk. I wasn’t going to do this for a while, because of the complexity in keeping site-specific changes away from my Typo hacking, but I ran across this article that explained how to use svk to manage all this for me, and now I’m testing it out. Hopefully everything will work fine, but if anything weird goes on, you’ll know why.
If you notice anything wrong that doesn’t go away shortly, please, leave a comment telling me what the problem is, or if comments are a problem, send me an email about it.
Well, it turns out at least one person reads my blog. Jonas Luster kindly, and surprisingly, linked my blog in one of his posts, referring to my switch to Typo. Jonas himself switched to Typo 9 days ago, although he’s already got a nice new style to his site and I haven’t spent the time coming up with one for this one yet.
Anyway, I think this is pretty cool, and I hope more blogs switch to Typo as it’s a great engine.
Well, imagine my surprise when I discovered that a bunch of my old entries no longer worked right in Typo? The problem is, out of the box, Typo doesn’t bother showing the extended portions of entries, even though it does store them. So I sat down and started poking around the internals of Typo and got it to not only show the extended part, but also to let me edit the extended part from the admin interface. And it didn’t take very long at all, because of how powerful and flexible Ruby on Rails is.
And then, after that, I read up on mod_rewrite and added rewrite rules to get all the old MT URLs to point to the right place. Hopefully I didn’t miss anything.
If you can see this post, you’ll notice that everything’s changed. Not only has the entire look of the blog changed, but so has the server the blog is hosted on. This blog is now being hosted by DreamHost, and the blog system I’m using is Typo. Play around with it — I think you’ll find it’s very cool. For example, you can do live searches, posting a comment is live too, and everything should also be nice and zippy. The first two are because of the new Typo engine (which uses Ruby on Rails, an excellent web application framework), and the last is a combination of Typo and the new server.
So hopefully, with this new blog in place, I’ll actually be motivated to start posting again. I’m sure if I have anybody that still reads this (and by reads I mean is subscribed in their newsreader), you’ll be happy to hear this.